Along with journalist & author Rebecca Byfield (aka Riley Banks) I was invited by the delightful Sharon Stevenson to be a part of The Next Big Thing blog hop. The point of this hop is to give published/unpublished writers a chance to share their work then pass it on to further authors the following week and throughout the year.
1) What is the working title of your book?
Deception (The Transformed, Book One)
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
I can’t think of any one place that the idea came from. Bits and pieces have come from various places along with my own ideas to create a unique story that’s fun, mysterious, and has a good message behind it too.
I liked the idea of a girl discovering that she was actually someone – and something – completely different from what she actually was. I took that premise and added the other ideas that I had and came up with Deception!
3) What genre does your book fall under?
Young Adult Paranormal Romance
4) Which actors would you choose to play in your movie rendition?
This was the toughest question to answer!
Alexis – Victoria Justice
Natalie – Allie Gonino
Mom – Michelle Pfiffer
Dad – Dennis Quaid
Amanda – Amanda Sefried
Cliff – Brant Daugherty
Tanner – Chris Zylka (not as happy with this choice, but it was the closest I could find)
5) What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Alexis is on a journey to discover the truth about herself when her entire life is turned upside down and she discovers that everything she believed to be true is actually false.
6) What is the longer synopsis of your book?
Alexis is not the average person because she’s exceptionally brilliant. When mysterious things start happening to her, she pursues the truth and learns is that she’s been lied to her entire life. She runs into deception at every turn.
What she finds on her own terrifies her and she questions whether she really wants to know the truth about herself…
Until she meets a stranger and they experience an instant connection. She feels that she’s known him her entire life, but she has never seen him before. At their first meeting, he knows more about her than she knows about herself. She begins to seek the truth about herself again and what she discovers turns her world completely upside down.
Everything that she believed to be false is suddenly her new reality.
7) Is your book self-published or represented by an agency?
I am happily self published! I love having complete control over my book.
8) How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Four months. When I first began, I didn’t have any kind of writing schedule or goals.
9) Who or what inspired you to write the book?
I’ve always wanted to publish novels, I’ve been writing them since I was in the third or fourth grade. I was really excited to finally publish my first novel!
10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There are a lot of twists and turns to keep the reader intrigued and guessing. I’ve received great feedback from all different types of people, and many who don’t normally like genre have really liked Deception.
There will be at least four books in the series and an offshoot series – so there is a lot to look forward to!
Next up on the Hop on Jan. 23rd…
1. ME Franco, author of Where Will You Run? When Mari’s sister goes missing from a locked psychiatric facility, Mari must investigate her disappearance along with several others. What she finds will change her life forever.
2. Olivia Martinez, author of Mistfall. Mistfall is about a twenty-something jinn (genie) named Mags whose life is turned upside down and she finds herself the target of a battle between good and evil. (Links to all available forms of the book are on Olivia’s blog.)