Supernatural

What Supernatural Taught Me About Self Publishing

What does the show Supernatural have to do with self publishing? Nothing, really, but there are a lot of lessons…

Continue reading →

21 thoughts on “What Supernatural Taught Me About Self Publishing

1. Chrissy Medeiros

Stacy, I’ve been a HUGE fan of Supernatural since the very first episode aired! I’ve even been to a convention and *sigh* got to meet Jared Padalecki. I use many visuals in my writing and picture him when I describe many of my male characters!

I love paranormal romances and I hope to someday publish in the genre as well. I’m going to check out your books, the covers look great!

Good luck with your stories!
    Chrissy

1. Stacy Claflin
      Twitter:
      Post author

Hi Chrissy,
      That’s so cool that you’ve been watching it since the beginning! We just started watching it at the end of last year. We’re almost at the end of season seven. I love Netflix! Awesome that you got to meet Jared!

It’s a fun genre to write! Be sure to let me know when you do publish! Sometimes I picture actors and actresses when I write certain characters. In my book Betrayal (and the following book which I’m writing now) I have two characters from the Vampire Diaries in mind when writing them!

It’s great to meet you!
      Stacy
      Stacy Claflin invites you to read… Writer’s ResourcesMy Profile

2. Lisa
    Twitter:

Stacy,
    This was a fun, creative post with great content! You rock! I agree with the points above…except that sometimes, it does cost in the thousands, depending on what you outsource. But, to me, it shouldn’t cost more than $4,000 total or it’s a scam. I myself paid a freelance editor for a manuscript evaluation and to help me polish my manuscript (before I submitted to my publisher; I’m traditionally published). I invested about $5,000 in the end.
    Lisa invites you to read… Day 6 of My California Love Trip (Redwoods!)My Profile

1. Stacy Claflin
      Twitter:
      Post author

Hi Lisa,
      I agree that it depends on what you outsource. There are some companies out there charging self published authors exorbitant fees for things that we can easily do ourselves – and taking away copyrights and high royalties. A good graphic designer *will* cost hundreds and editing can definitely run into the thousands.

I would personally prefer to hire my own than give up my rights and have a “self publishing” company take care of all of that for me, while holding onto my copyright and high royalties. I’d rather go through traditional publishing than that.

Thanks for stopping by! :) Congratulations on your book!
      Stacy
      Stacy Claflin invites you to read… Spring Fling Book GiveawayMy Profile

3. Donna Merrill
    Twitter:

Hey Stacy,

Well, that was fun! Never heard of the show because I’m not a big fan of TV, but now it has peeked my interest. I can see where you can get great ideas from this story line.

You have effectively explained what goes behind the scenes of self publishing. This is all new to me, but very interesting.

I just had to laugh at the last video because in my business I deal with ghosts! Studied Parapsychology and spend time on “the other side” for my clients. But, hey, to me, it is natural. Funny how they portrayed the ghosts in this clip. SMH….lol

Donna
    Donna Merrill invites you to read… Do You Own Your Business or Does It Own You?My Profile

1. Stacy Claflin
      Twitter:
      Post author

Hi Donna,

I don’t watch much TV myself, but Supernatural is one of the rare shows that I do watch. They definitely have a unique take on the spirit / supernatural world. Some of it is hilarious and some is nail-biting! :) The best of both worlds.

It sounds like you have a lot of unique experiences in your business! Very cool :)

Stacy
      Stacy Claflin invites you to read… Betrayal Tour ScheduleMy Profile

4. Mohini

Stacy, I am a die hard Supernatural fan just like you and yes I have also learnt quite a few out of the box things from the show but these were new to me and they are quite awesome. I have been writing stories for a few years now but have never been able to put it out there for others to read them. Your books are awesome and kind of an inspiration to me. :D

5. Barry Wells

Hi Stacy,

I’ve never seen the show so can’t comment on its content.

I do however like the way you’ve put a twist on the lessons taught within the show and brought them to our attention.

You’re so right about the tools we use and how we should research them first. Dread to think of the time being wasted with the wrong tool for the job. I normally ask for advice in a Facebook group close to the subject at hand.

Best of luck with your writing Stacy :)

Barry
    Barry Wells invites you to read… Blog Feed Error Resolved… Sort OfMy Profile

6. Bryan
    Twitter:

Oh. My. Gosh. You’re wonderful, Stacy! What I learned from this post is that I must catch up on Supernatural! I haven’t watched it since the second season and don’t know why I stopped!

7. Pingback: Triberr: Your Step by Step Guide to Being Heard

8. Pingback: Indie Block Party: Writing Tips

9. Olga Núñez Miret
    Twitter:

I love the show although you’ve made me realise I’ve missed some series and must catch up. I do love the Groundhog Day send-off (how many ways can you kill anybody?) and you’re right, there are some episodes that are just pure fun. Knowing who your friends are and who you can trust is important. Good lessons to take from it and in general. Thanks!